Registration will take place at our base camp at Liss Ard Estate which is located on the Castletownsend Rd , Skibbereen.The registration will be open the previous evening. Times will be published later.
- You registration number will been issued to you during your online registration and will have been published on the website. Please ensure that you have a printout of your online registration (including confirmation) with you for you pre-race registration.
- You will be issued with a personal electronic timing device. (See below)
- You Mandatory Kit (see below) will be checked and verified.
- You will be issued with your race map.
- You will receive your complimentary race-training shirt.
- You will be given a race sticker for your bike (and where necessary, your kayak)
Q. How many Categories are there in the event?
The following are the categories
1. Elite / Pro 2.Challenge
When registering online you will be asked which category you would like to be in. There are 2 categories to choose from: PRO and CHALLENGE. We can only advise people to enter themselves into a category so that they will be competing alongside competitors of the same standard and a category that suits their personal level of fitness and experience. We don’t permit participants to change level.
Summary of categories
- Elite - Are you a competitive hill runner, triathlete, cyclist or run marathons? This category of competitor would be extremely active every week. You would have competed in an adventure race / triathlon / duathlon / marathons etc on a regular basis or.
- Challenge – These athletes would have a good but lower lower level of fitness than those above. This will suit athletes who maybe participate in field games etc and would normally train on a regular basis.Set yourself the challenge today and you will enjoy the adventure.
Approx finishing times would be 3.5 5 to 6 hours
Note All athlethes participate as solo racers , are self supported and compete along the same course.
Q What are the distances involved in the various sections
The breakdown of discipline distances within the event is as follows:
- Start with a 4km run through Liss Ard Estate with a slight ascent..
- Cycle 32 km on sealed tar roads along the coast with amazing views of the Atlantic Ocean. 2 steep ascents en route !
- Hill trail of 6km with 200m ascent along existing paths that leads through a natural forest.
- 10 km cycle returning to Liss Ard Estate
- 2 km run to Kayak ,1.5km kayak and final 2km dash to finish line via assult course !!!!!!
- Refreshments and entertainment await you …!
Q.What bike is best suited to the race/ event?
Which bike to use is a personal choice but here are some recommendations:
- Most suitable - Road Bike (racer) with high volume tyres
- Suitable – Hybrid type bike with slick tyres.
- Less suitable - Mountain bike with semi-slick tyres.
- Least suitable - Mountain bike with wide knobbly tyres.
The roads / route selected are generally well surfaced and clean. There are a few not so smooth sections with the odd pothole. The choice of bike is a personal thing. If you are a new comer to the sport and have a bike, sure it will be fine while the Elite Racers will have their own choice of bike selected. Remember to have it checked and in good order especially the brakes, as you will need them.
Can I Take part as a team ?
On request only . Please contact us should this be a requirement.
Q. How is the event timed?
We use electronic timing devices to track and monitor your progress through out the race. These are simply worn around the neck or wrist by each competitor. At each transition area you simply swipe your device through an electronic scanner that records your time. In the case of a team the device is passed from one member to the next at the transition. The incoming competitor must swipe in before the timer is handed over. Should you wish to time out at the Kayak section (the only transition at which you are permitted to time out) please remember to time back in again before you depart to the next section. This is your responsibility. Unfortunately lost timing devices are expensive and if lost most be paid for. Ensure you hand it back at the finish line. You will get a print out of your splits and overall time once you cross the finish line. We will also email and publish the results on our web site. Check out http://sportstiming.ie for more details
Q. What items should be in the Mandatory Kit?
Each competitor must carry a race day kit or what is commonly known as the Mandatory Kit. Please ensure you have your Kit with you at registration, as our staff will be checking it to verify. Please see below a list of basic items that it must contain. Competitors may carry any additional item they feel they may require such as trekking poles etc.
- Basic first –aid kit. (Have a few additional plasters and bandages in case of blistering)
- Route Map, which will be given to you at registration. You may also find it on our website prior to race day should you wish to review it.
- A cycle helmet is absolutely compulsory. No excuses.
- A suitable rucksack or cycle bag.
- A suitable pair of running shoes.
- Survival blanket & whistle and small torch.
- Bike, bike tool kit and puncture repair kit.*
- Energy food or light snacks.
- Water bottle(s). Minimum 1 lt.
- Additional light, warm & waterproof clothing.
The is the mandatory cycling kit and together with your compulsory cycling helmet, can be left with your bike at transition 1 in a bag firmly attached to your bike. The remainder of your Mandatory Kit must be carried with you at all times during the race. Failure to do so will result in disqualification
Q. What safety features do I need to be aware of?
Safety is of paramount importance to protect the interests of everyone concerned, the Athletes, the public and the road users.
- All athletes are required to obey the rules of the road over the entire course.
- Obey & respect the instructions of the safety Marshals, the Gardaí and the event crew.
- You will be issues with a set of race rules that you must read and understand. These are also available for review on the website.
- Always go to the assistance of a fellow competitor should they have suffered an injury. Call for medical assistance if in doubt. You will be issued with the Safety liaison Officers telephone number at registration.
- Make sure to carry your first-aid kit with you at all times.
- Attendance at the pre race registration and pre race safety briefing is absolutely compulsory
- Your entry to the event is conditional upon agreement to full compliance with all rules and regulations as laid out by the race organisers.
Q Will there be water along the route?
The water stops will be highlighted on your map but you will also need to take water with you. It is extremely important that you are properly hydrated before the race. You will need to have water with you from the start of the race and you can also have water/drink on your bike. We recommend the cyclist back pack with the water bladder insert and drinking tube, which allows you to carry additional water and your race kit. There will be a number of water stations along the route.
Q Who provides the Kayak etc
The kayaks, Paddles and buoyancy aids will be provided by us the event organisers on the day. However should you wish to bring along your own we can accommodate this request. It will be your responsibility to drop it off at the transition area but we will return it to base camp for you. You must ensure you get a race label at registration. We will not accept liability for any loss or damage to your own Kayak. Every measure will be taken to keep and care for it, i.e. there will be crew or marshals at the transition area. There will be a selection of sit-on and sit-in Kayaks available to you, the competitors on the day. We cannot guarantee you a specific type as it will be first come, first choice at the kayak transition. The Kayaks will be ruturned to the start area on a rotary system. You may time out should you wish to wait for the Kayak of your choice and time back in again. You may kayak in pairs should you wish to. In this situation you simply team up with a fellow competitor on your simultaneous arrival at the kayak transition area. You will note in the rules that the Elite category of competitor will race in real time. The race will be started on a phased & timed basis so therefore there should be a steady streamed arrival to the kayak station.